Nucleotide molecules make up the structural units of DNA and RNA and are essential to create new cells in the horse’s body and for oxygen transportation around the body. They are found in low levels in a horse’s natural diet and are formed by horses’ bodies ‘recycling’ dead cells. Recent research has proven that there are enormous benefits in feeding additional nucleotides. Horse feed ingredients contain very low levels of nucleotides and with a very low availability to the horse (around 5-10%) due to their protein coating.
Due to the high cost of such an innovative ingredient, few feed companies are providing horses with the benefits that nucleotide supplementation can provide. Fibregenix is the first feed company in Australia to include them. The Fibregenix feed balancers – Prime Original, Platinum Pro and Lami Low-Cal contain a purified nucleotide supplement, which has a 95% availability rate, to balance the limited levels of nucleotides available in the horse’s usual diet.
The 7 Benefits of Having Elevated Levels of Nucleotides in the Diet:
1) Rapid cell replication. Cells/areas requiring rapid cell multiplication include immuno-competant cells, gastrointestinal cells, intestinal flora cells, liver cells and cells of reproductive organs.
2) Fitness, Stamina and Fatigue: Improving the production of red blood cells means that more oxygen can be transported around the body, which in turn improves levels of fitness and stamina, and reduces the onset of fatigue and the level of lactic acid produced.
3) Muscle Recovery and Function: By reducing the number of steps needed to form cells, this increases the recovery rates for the muscles that undergo stress as part of a training schedule. So, the better and faster these muscles recover, the better the muscle function.
4) Digestion and Nutrient Absorption: Nucleotides can increase the length and surface area of villi that line the intestines. These finger-like projections are responsible for absorbing the nutrients, vitamins and minerals from the food that the horse consumes. By increasing the length and surface area of these villi, more nutrients, vitamins and minerals are absorbed from the food.
5) Immunity: Considering that 70% of an animal’s immune system is in their GI tract, the immune system itself is directly affected by the health of the digestive system. Nucleotides help the rate of replication of immune cells thereby improving the horse’s immune system and helping them to fight bacterial and viral infections.Nucleotides are immune facilitators (not stimulators) so only help when required by the immune system, and quickly help the immune system to respond to and destroy a disease/infection.
6) Injury recovery: Increased oxygen transportation provided by nucleotides means that more oxygen can get to the damaged area. Combined with the increase in the rate of cell replication, nucleotides can therefore help to reduce injury recovery time.
7) Intestinal development By increasing the length and number of villi which are vital for mucosal development (the first line of defence in the gut), nucleotides optimise the natural protective mechanisms of the mucosal lining to maintain a healthy GI tract. Through increased availability of genetic precursors, nucleotides increases mucosal thickness and protein levels. Nucleotides also speed up intestinal recovery after chronic diarrhea and intestinal damage.
Benefits of Nucleotides in Fibregenix Lami Low-Cal Balancer:
Recovering laminitics: Rapid cell proliferation is required for recovery of damaged laminae; digestive system likely to have been compromised from excess toxins.
Overweight/good doer: if diet limited, nucleotide/vitamin/mineral levels will be below recommended levels and even lower than usual.
Hoof supplement: Rapid cell proliferation is required to aid the growth of the hoof wall.